Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Flamenco Beach, Culebra



On Labor Day I boarded the East Islander power catamaran and headed 20 miles east to the island of Culebra. Since my arrival to Puerto Rico every person I have spoken with has told me I needed to visit Culebra so I made it a mission to find a way to go.

There are a few options for getting to Culebra. One is by ferry, however it books up quickly and it's hard to get a reservation. Second option is by plane, apparently its about $40 one way and the flight is 10 minutes. The third option I found, and the most entertaining, was by catamaran. I booked my trip with East Wind Catamaran who offered a day trip with snorkeling.

Upon arrival to the East Islander, our vessel, our host Chris went over our safety procedures. I am pretty sure Chris was a pirate in a previous life. He gave us a run down of all the necessary procedures then quickly assured us we would never need to use them. There was only caveat he gave us was that if we see him grab a life preserver and a bottle of rum we should probably grab one too, follow him, and don't forget to bring your own cup.

After about a 30 minute bumpy ride west we headed to our first destination, Luis Peña Nature Preserve. Here we were given a quick snorkeling lesson and cut loose to explore the fish and the coral. This was my first time snorkeling and I felt like I was swimming in the fish tank at the doctors office. So many bright fish to see and watch swirl around me.

After an hour and a half of snorkeling we got back on the boat and headed to the last and final destination of the day; Flamenco Beach. This beach was immaculate and the water was so clear and blue. Flamenco is the third top rated beach on the planet and I could see why. We spent the entire afternoon snorkeling, laying on the beach, diving off the boat, and casually sipping on Chris' special rum punch. The day could not have been more perfect or relaxing.

As our group of about 25 headed back onto the boat clouds rolled in and a downpour ensued. Talk about timing! On the trip back to the marina in Fajardo we jammed to Dave Matthews Band and sipped on our rum punch. Overall it was a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment