Sunday, August 15, 2010

Another great afternoon in Old San Juan

I started my Sunday off with making my way down to the pool area and securing a spot in a hammock. This was my first time actually hanging out down there. I found one of five hammocks open next to the beach and climbed in. For the next two hours I read and watched all the different people meander in and out of the beach area. It was so relaxing and the palm trees provided just enough shade so that I didn't have to worry about getting burnt.

After my relaxing morning I decided to take advantage of "cruise ship Sundays," as I call them, and go to Old San Juan. I knew there would be tons of tourists that would provide more good people watching, but also a lot of street vendors would be out so I could look at their goods.

I stopped off at the Hard Rock Cafe and had lunch. Some might roll their eyes but it was actually a nice little treat to have a meal where I didn't have to guess what would be in it. From there I walked west down along the outside wall of the city. There were tons of vendors out and a band playing music. I stopped along the way and took several snapshots of statues. It was the first time I had been in that area and it was a nice surprise. Plenty of police out around the city as I counted three separate cruise ships docked in the marina.

I walked around the city for a good two or three hours. Stopping at one spot that served drinks while you got a pedicure. The bartender was disappointed when I just asked for water. It was too hot, but after I had a pedi and cooled off I did find Barrachina. This is the birthplace of the Pina Colada so of course I had to have one.

After a few more hours of walking around and grabbing dinner at Tijuana's Bar and Grill, where they had a mariachi band playing and patrons singing at the top of their lungs, I finally made my way back to my hotel. It was a nice relaxing day of exploring more of a little city I am starting to love.




No comments:

Post a Comment